Prescription Eyeglass Lenses At Buena Park Eyecare
People who need eyeglass lenses today have a wide range of options and have the opportunity to buy their personalized, first choice pair. Here at Buena Park Eyecare, we offer a number of choices for prescription eyeglass wearers.
Eyeglasses correct vision by using a curved lens to correct the angle at which light hits the eye. In people with refractive errors, the lens of their eye is too flat, too steep, or too uneven for light to be focused correctly on the retina at the back of the eye. The external lens of a pair of glasses corrects the angle of incoming light to solve this problem.
Types of Prescription Lenses
The first prescription lenses were made of glass. However, glass is heavy and breakable, so eyeglass manufacturers moved to plastic as soon as quality plastics became available. Modern lenses are usually made of specialized types of plastic, although they are still occasionally made of glass.
- Polycarbonate is a very strong, impact-resistant material that is great for children's glasses or sports glasses.
- Trivex is a newer option that provides strong, lightweight lenses and can actually correct vision more effectively in some cases.
- High-index plastics are commonly used for people who need strong prescriptions because they allow the lenses to be lighter and thinner.
- Aspheric lenses are made using technology that allows them to be flatter and thus thinner and lighter.
- Photochromatic lenses darken in response to exposure to light (although they may not darken in cars due to the windshield blocking UV rays).
- Polarized sunglasses have lenses that filter out certain wavelengths of light in order to reduce glare.
The choice of lenses is up to you, with some input from our Buena Park optometrist. Different lenses have different properties and prices. For people with mild vision issues, the cost of some specialized types of lenses may not be justified. However, to a person who needs a very strong prescription, the decrease in weight and thickness of these lenses might be well worth the cost. Our Buena Park optometrist can guide you through the process of choosing proper lenses by explaining what each lens choice would do for you.
Buena Park Eyecare Can Help You!
If it's been more than a year since your last exam, call us today to schedule a visit. We can provide a comprehensive eye exam that includes screening for diseases and a new prescription; if needed, followed by a consultation about which prescription lenses are best for you. To make an appointment, call us at (714) 521-7582.